Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fairbanks Second Amendment Task Force Leader Schaeffer Cox Blames Legal Troubles On A Bitchy Mother-In-Law And Overzealous Cops

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reports that Second Amendment Task Force leader Schaeffer Cox appeared at a meeting of about 40 core members of the task force at the Fairbanks headquarters of the Interior Alaska Conservative Coalition (IACC) on Friday April 9th, 2010, and he blamed his recent legal troubles on a bothersome mother-in-law and “character assassination” planned by local law enforcement. Perhaps Ernie K. Doe had the right idea about mothers-in-law:

Cox initially was charged with second-degree felony assault on March 1st after his wife reportedly told Alaska State Troopers that he punched and choked her during a February 25th trip to Anchorage to visit her mother. He pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment four days after the original charge was filed. However, Cox told supporters that troopers “fabricated” nearly all of the information in charging documents. He said he and his wife were arguing about visiting his mother-in-law, with whom he has never gotten along because of his conservative beliefs. Cox admitted that he pushed his wife, but he said he never punched or choked her. But when Cox’s mother-in-law heard of the dispute, she went to troopers, and charges were filed several days later.

Cox also touched on his second arrest on March 17th for not letting a Fairbanks police officer know he was carrying a concealed handgun. He was contacted by Fairbanks police officers last month while he was monitoring the scene of a police search at an Eighth Avenue house. The carpenter and business owner is part of a “Liberty Bell” network that sends out mass notifications when someone believes their rights are being violated. The owner of the home had contacted Cox to complain that police were making an unauthorized search of her property. Police said they were responding to a 911 hang-up call. As a result of that arrest, the judge had originally temporarily barred him from having any access to guns, but after Cox’s attorney, Robert John, argued that the total firearms ban was unconstitutional and unnecessary since Cox is not accused of threatening anyone and banning him from carrying a gun does nothing to ensure he will make future court appearances, District Court Judge Jane Kauvar partially modified the ban, saying he could keep as many guns at home as he wanted, but could not take any of them out in public.

During the two-hour meeting, Cox called the state troopers “wicked, corrupt and despicable” and claimed that law enforcement is trying make him look bad to scare people away from the task force. Since the case has been resolved, he said he has been harassed by the Office of Children’s Services who are trying to take his son away from him.

Reaction: Reception to Cox’s explanation of events was mixed with several people telling Cox he should have fought the charges and taken the case to a jury if he was innocent. Cox said he would rather that many go toward helping the task force than acquitting him and he felt the case was resolved fairly. Former Borough Assemblyman Mike Prax walked out of the meeting after accusing Cox of trying to take the law into his own hands and refusing to work in the proper avenues of the court system. One man called for Cox to step down as leader of the task force, while IACC organizer Maria Rensel said that Cox should only hold a position of leadership in the task force or the Alaska Peacemakers Militia, since he makes the militia look like a political organization.

Watch this video of Schaeffer Cox speaking about the future of the liberty movement:

No comments:

Post a Comment