On May 12th, 2009, upon the introduction of AO 2009-64, which is the Anchorage Assembly's effort to rewrite the city's existing non-discrimination ordinance to make homosexuals an officially protected class, Anchorage Baptist Temple Pastor Jerry Prevo, who is one of the premier spokesmen in the community in favor of traditional cultural values, wasted little time in declaring his public opposition. He also declared his intent to organize the community against the proposed change. The Alaska Family Council likewise announced its opposition, and I cross-posted their press release HERE.
And Dr. Prevo has fulfilled his intent. In a May 24th LTE published in the Anchorage Daily News (scroll down to the second letter), Dr. Prevo has revealed the creation of the SOSAnchorage website, which provides links to a series of articles highlighting the deficiencies of the ordinance and possible worst-case consequences. While these consequences may be initially improbable, they are technically possible, and will become more probable with the passage of time as the gay rights lobby slowly chips away at the resolve of the population to maintain the traditional cultural values which catapulted this nation to unprecedented power and prosperity. [Ed. Note: SOS Anchorage has since been deactivated, but an archive is preserved HERE.]
Links to individual articles also provided below, exactly as presented on the SOS Anchorage website.
- ANY MAN CAN PUT ON A DRESS AND WALK INTO THE LADIES' RESTROOM. Click HERE to see why.
- SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS COULD BE FINED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IF THIS ORDINANCE PASSES. Click HERE to see how.
- YOUR CHILD’S 2ND GRADE TEACHER COULD BE A MAN ONE DAY AND SHOW UP AS A WOMAN THE NEXT. Click HERE to understand why.
- THE SALVATION ARMY, PERHAPS AMERICA’S MOST RESPECTED CHARITY, COULD BE DENIED PUBLIC FUNDING. Click HERE to read how.
- THE BOY SCOUTS WILL BE FORCED TO ALLOW HOMOSEXUALS (men attracted sexually to males) TO SUPERVISE YOUNG BOYS. Click HERE to find out why.
- BOY SCOUTS WILL LOSE PUBLIC FUNDING AND WILL BE FORCED TO SPEND MONEY ON LAW SUITS. Click HERE to see why.
- LOCAL BUSINESS OWNERS WILL HAVE TO ALLOW CROSS DRESSERS ON THEIR SALES TEAM. Click HERE to read why.
- “SEXUAL ORIENTATION” IS A DANGEROUS LEGAL TERM TO ADD TO OUR DISCRIMINATION LAWS. Click HERE to read the proposed definition.
- EXEMPTIONS FROM THIS ORDINANCE FOR RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS ARE WORTHLESS. Click HERE to read proposed wording.
- CONTACT YOUR ASSEMBLY REPRESENTATIVE. Click HERE to view list and contact information.
- WHAT CAN YOU DO? Click HERE.
- PROPOSED ORDINANCE. Click HERE.
For once, let's see if we can avoid presenting this only as a liberal vs. conservative battle. I know there are pro-family and pro-life Democrats out there; as a matter of fact, it was actually a Republican school board member, Sue Hull, who helped the Fairbanks School Board make transgenders a protected class in the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District in February 2009.
In reality, it's a battle between American-style liberty and Soviet-style forced equality. It's about the freedom of business owners to hire and fire as they wish, in accordance with market conditions. It's about the freedom of landlords to control property they own and pay taxes on. It's about the freedom of pastors to preach vigorously against sinful practices without fear of state retaliation. It's about the freedom of parents to freely transmit their values from one generation to the next, without fear of state retaliation.
America was founded on the basis of liberty, not equality. The American Revolution proclaimed life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; except for one War Between The States, it's worked well. In contrast, the French Revolution proclaimed liberty, equality, and fraternity, and quickly degenerated into a blood-soaked Dionysian orgy of Jacobin genocidal slaughter costing one million French citizens their lives; after two empires and five republics, they still haven't gotten it right. The French Revolution was actually a dress rehearsal for the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917, which unleashed a 75-year worldwide holocaust costing an estimated 100 million lives, with Russia and China bearing the brunt of the assault.
The so-called American civil rights revolution was meant merely to stop forced segregation, which unnecessarily restricted liberty. By substituting forced integration, it continued to restrict liberty. Thus the civil rights revolution merely substituted the tyranny of forced integration in place of forced segregation. We ended up with a complex enumerated system of protected classes not unlike India's old caste system. Abuses such as affirmative action and no-bid contracts for minority and women-owned businesses proliferated. There is a place for equality on the American menu, but only as a condiment designed to place bounds upon the most egregious abuses of liberty. It was never meant to be a substitute or replacement for liberty. Liberty is the steak; equality is merely the sauce.
All Anchorage residents of good will who love liberty, regardless of the presence or absence of religion in their lives, are invited to join Pastor Prevo and the Alaska Family Council in stopping the imposition of more forced equality in Anchorage. Show up at Anchorage Assembly chambers at the Loussac Library on Tuesday June 9th. Let's de-Californicate Anchorage.