On Saturday, June 10th, I discussed the arrest and indictment of three members of the National Alliance in Salt Lake City on civil rights conspiracy charges. Not only was the original story carried on KUTV, but also KSL and the Salt Lake Tribune. Here is the actual indictment, posted on both Nikki's Nest and on Hal Turner's website.
COUNT ONE 18 U.S.C. Sec. 241 (Conspiracy to Interfere With Civil Rights)
The Conspiracy and its Objects:
1. From in or about December 2002, and continuing until in or about March 2003, in and around the Central Division of the District of Utah, SHAUN A. WALKER, TRAVIS D. MASSEY, and ERIC G. EGBERT, the defendants herein, together and with others known and unknown to the Grand Jury, did unlawfully, willfully, and knowingly combine, conspire, confederate and agree among themselves and each other to injure, oppress, threaten and intimidate other persons in and around Salt Lake City, Utah, in the free exercise and enjoyment of rights and privileges secured by the Constitution and laws of the United States; that is, the right to full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages and accommodations of any place of public accommodation without intimidation, threat or coercion because of race, color and national origin.
2. It was the plan and purpose of this conspiracy to band as a group of members and go into public settings and public accommodations and provoke and engage in arguments and fights with persons the defendants perceived to be “non-white,” in order to injure, oppress, threaten and intimidate those persons from exercising their protected rights, including by making such persons afraid to appear in public, work and live in and around Salt Lake City, Utah.
3. Overt Acts in Furtherance of the Conspiracy. In furtherance of the Conspiracy, as alleged above, and to accomplish the objects of the Conspiracy, defendants SHAUN A. WALKER, TRAVIS D. MASSEY and ERIC G. EGBERT, and others known and unknown to the Grand Jury, committed overt acts in and around Salt Lake City, Utah, including but not limited to:
4. On or about December 31, 2002, SHAUN A. WALKER, TRAVIS D. MASSEY and ERIC G. EGBERT, and another person known to the Grand Jury intimidated, threatened, and coerced individuals of minority racial and ethnic heritage in a bar doing business as O’Shucks in Salt Lake City.
5. On or about December 31, 2002, SHAUN A. WALKER, TRAVIS D. MASSEY and ERIC G. EGBERT, and another person known to the Grand Jury intimidated, threatened, coerced and assaulted J.B., a Mexican-American male; in or near a bar doing business as O’Shucks in Salt Lake City.
6. On or about March 15, 2003, TRAVIS D. MASSEY and another person known to the Grand Jury intimidated, threatened, coerced and assaulted an individual of Native-American heritage outside of a bar doing business as the Port of Call in Salt Lake City. All in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 241.
COUNT TWO 18 U.S.C. Sec 245 (b)(2)(c) (Interference with a Federally Protected Activity)
7. On or about December 31, 2002, in the Central Division of the District of Utah, SHAUN A. WALKER, TRAVIS D. MASSEY and ERIC G. EGBERT, the defendants herein, while aiding and abetting one another and others, did by force and threat of force, willfully injure, intimidate, and interfere with, and attempt to injure, intimidate, and interfere with J.B., a Mexican-American male, because of the individual’s national origin, and because he was and had been enjoying employment, and the perquisites thereof, of a private employer.
8. The commission of this offense resulted in bodily injury to J.B., a Mexican-American male. All in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 245(b)(2)(c), and Title 18, United States Code, Section 2.
Eight paragraphs of bureaucratese stemming from two simple bar fights where, among other nasty words, a few racial slurs were exchanged. No charges were pressed by the "victims". No charges were filed by the state. What's the justification for this extreme reaction by the Feds? Does this rise to the magnitude of justifying the possibility of having to pay these three otherwise law-abiding, productive guys room and board at a Federal prison at public expense for as long as 20 years? Are they that much of a danger to society? My answer is a resounding "NO"!
The possibility of an informer working with the Feds in this case has been raised on Hal Turner's forum. Note the repeated use of the phrase "and another person known to the Grand Jury". Why would this other person remain nameless? The most likely possibility is that this "nameless" person is an informer. A poster identified only as "Whiteman" posted in the Comments section of Turner's Shaun Walker story, entitled "Chairman of National Alliance Arrested On Federal Hate Crime Charge". He stated that the "nameless" person is Keith Cotter, who was a member of the National Alliance for a few months before disappearing. Arrested a few months ago for an unrelated offense, he allegedly struck a deal for leniency with prosecutors in exchange for helping them take down Shaun Walker and the Salt Lake Unit of the National Alliance. However, he offered no validating references, so this must be considered speculative at this time.
Archrival white nationalist organization National Vanguard issued a rather tepid statement of support on their website. Here's an excerpt:
While National Vanguard has serious and deep strategic, political, and ethical differences with Walker and his group, with which we have no connection, and while we reject the kind of irresponsible behavior in which Walker is widely known to engage, we see a larger issue here: We condemn this arrest unconditionally as an attack on all American political dissidents. The present system is rotting and decayed, and in desperation is lashing out at all those who question its rule. Why else would the federal government, supposedly engaged in a life-and-death "war on terror," wait so long to indict Walker and friends on penny-ante years-old charges that would be, at worst, misdemeanors, were the political element removed? Why would the federal government commit such resources to a pursuit of men who have no criminal records, unless the essential motive is political (even serious assaults often receive quite minor sentences, when the political element is absent from the case)? In the present war-crazed environment the rights of political minorities are constantly at risk. If people like Walker and his friends have no freedom from being railroaded on at-whim charges, none of us have any freedom. Our Founding Fathers did not fight at Lexington and Concord so that citizens could be jailed for decades over drunken brawls.
Unfortunately, this statement was initially undermined by an unrepresentative and uncomplimentary photo of Shaun Walker which can reinforce negative biases and stereotypes against him. It could hinder efforts by Walker's defense team to find an unbiased jury in Northern Utah. After National Vanguard was inundated by a blizzard of protesting e-mails from outraged white nationalists, they removed the photo from their site. The willingness of NV Director Kevin Alfred Strom (pictured above left) to put his petty feud with the National Alliance ahead of loyalty to the cause is one reason why National Vanguard lost their two most active units, Tampa and Denver, to the Nationalist Coalition.
The National Alliance has issued a statement of support. The de facto "Deputy Chairman" Erich Gliebe asserted that Alliance business would continue as usual and that they will provide him all possible legal backing. Here's an excerpt:
On Saturday, June 10th, I visited National Alliance Chairman Shaun Walker at the West Virginia jail he is currently being held at. Shaun was in a very positive frame of mind, as he knows he is completely innocent of all charges against him. The National Alliance leadership is working to secure a top-notch legal team to defend him against the ridiculous allegations.
Chairman Walker understands that being the leader of the most productive pro-White organization in America, there are those in power who have a vendetta against him strictly for his beliefs. It's obvious to all that the only reason he is sitting in jail, is because he represents a voice of reason and sanity for all White Americans, whom have been sold out by a vast number of treasonous politicians and morally corrupt capitalists.
Despite Shaun's arrest, everything will continue to move ahead with day-to-day National Alliance operations.
Technorati Tags: politics , race , brrreeeport